Click on the headings to expand/collapse. For a copy of my complete CV or resume, please contact me.Work Experience
Instruction and Assessment Librarian, Sinclair Community College, Dayton, OH, July 2013-present
- Coordinate the library’s instruction program and teach research and digital literacy skills to students in all academic divisions.
- Collect and analyze multiple forms of assessment data (including surveys, quizzes and website analytics) in order to continuously improve library services.
- Serve on several campus-wide committees and working teams dedicated to improving student success.
Founder, Social Web Enterprises, LLC, 2010-present
- Write for a variety of print and online publications and work for clients in a variety of roles including content writer, blogger, editor, online community manager and consultant.
- Own and operate a network of over 10 high-quality informational websites in diverse niches including my main blog SocialWebQandA.com
- Write, edit, publish and market books, including Savvy for the Social Web: The New Skills You Need to Survive and Thrive in the Digital Age.
Instructor, University of West Georgia, Carrollton, GA, 2012-2013
- Taught LIBR-1101, a semester-long undergraduate core course covering information literacy, critical thinking and academic research skills, in both face-to-face and online formats.
- Led research and information literacy instruction sessions for a variety of undergraduate courses as well as for faculty and staff.
Graduate Assistant, Reference, Research and Scholarly Services, Main Library, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2011-2012
- Staffed the University Library’s central reference desk, providing in-person, chat, email and phone research assistance to a diverse community. Instructed patrons in the use of a wide variety of databases as well as print and electronic reference resources.
- Taught information literacy sessions for undergraduates, graduates and library staff covering topics such as general library research strategies, database use, RSS feeds, and citation management software.
Graduate Assistant, Literatures and Languages Library, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2010-2012
- As part of a team, planned, designed and implemented a new library website.
- Redesigned, enhanced and improved the content and usability of the Latin American Studies homepage, as well as Spanish language and literature online research guides.
- Provided specialized research assistance in the fields of language and literature.
Research Assistant, Memorial Library, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Summer 2011
- Created metadata records for Cartonera publications and other unique special collections items as part of the University of Wisconsin Digital Collections project.
- Created and edited online subject bibliographies for medieval Spanish literature.
Student Assistant, Grinnell College Burling Library Iowa Room, Grinnell College, 2008-09
- “Building a Strong Foundation: Mentoring Programs for Novice Tenure Track Librarians in Academic Libraries.” College & Research Libraries. 76:6, November 2015. Andrew Walsh and Mandi Goodsett. Peer-reviewed.
- “Beyond ‘Good’ and ‘Bad’: Google As a Crucial Component of Information Literacy.” In The Complete Guide to Using Google in Libraries. Rowman & Littlefield, March 2015.
- “Using Website Analytics Tools in the Development of a Humanities Library Web Portal.” In Web Analytic Strategies for Information Professionals: a LITA Guide. Neal Schuman, 2013. Andrew Walsh, Harriett Green and Jordan Ruud.
- “Learning Spanish Today: A Research Guide.” Reference and User Services Quarterly. 51: 1, Fall 2011. Andrew Walsh and Neal Wyatt.
- “Pathway to Your Future: Road Maps for Community College Students.” ACRL 2017, Baltimore, MD, March 2017. Andrew Walsh, Cynthia Steinhoff, Kathleen Bolton and Cynthia Roberts.
- “Building an Email List With Your WordPress Blog for Traffic, Revenue and Influence.” WordCamp Dayton, Dayton, OH, March 2015.
- “Marketing and Promoting Your Writing Today: The Importance of Building an Author Platform.” Sinclair Community College 40th Annual Writers’ Workshop, Dayton, OH, November 2013.
- “Research Guides Usability Study.” Reference Research Forum. American Library Association Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, June 2013. Andrew Walsh and Angela Pashia.
- “Fostering Creativity and Community: Using Blogging Assignments to Improve Student Writing.” Student Success in Writing Conference, Savannah, GA, February 2013.
Leadership, Volunteer and Professional Activities
Coordinator, Health Sciences Career Community Steering Committee, 2017-present
Co-Chair, Completion Work Team: Community Resources, Sinclair Community College, 2014-2016
Member, STEM Career Community Steering Committee, Connect for Completion, Sinclair Community College, 2014-2016
Marketing and Editorial Intern, Wisconsin Historical Society Press, 2012
- Researched mobile application development and created interactive Google maps and other promotional materials for new titles.
- Analyzed commercial webinar services, made purchase recommendations, and trained staff in the use of these technologies for upcoming author events.
Member, GSLIS Collaboration and Assessment Team, University of Turabo, Puerto Rico, March 2012
- Interviewed university administration and staff at four sites and wrote detailed needs assessments in areas such as digitization, server architecture, archival standards, and community engagement.
- Corresponded with University of Illinois GSLIS faculty to plan future collaborations between the two universities.
Treasurer, Special Libraries Association Student Chapter, 2011-2012
- Managed organizational funds in compliance with proper laws, policies and procedures
- Organized and coordinated events relating to special librarianship for student group.
Member, Grinnell College Library Student Educational Policy Committee, 2008-2009
- Interviewed candidates for librarian positions.
- Provided suggestions and discussed libraries’ self-study with external review team and Grinnell College staff.
- Surveyed and summarized student opinion regarding librarian performance, services, collections and events.
Education and Skills
Master of Science in Library and Information Science, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL, May 2012
Graduate Certificate in Special Collections, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Graduate School of Library and Information Science, May 2012
Bachelor of Arts in Spanish, Grinnell College, Grinnell IA, May 2009
Software and Applications: WordPress (self-hosted; theme design), Drupal, Google Analytics, Hootsuite, Libguides, Google Webmaster Tools, Blackboard Collaborate, Moodle, Desire2Learn, Camtasia, Adobe Creative Suite, EndNote Web, Refworks.
Languages: Spanish (proficient), Japanese (intermediate)